Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A Gift

"Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word happy would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness. It is far better to take things as they come along with patience and equanimity."

These words from Carl Jung haunted me today. This was a day of mixed blessings; some "wins" and some "loses", but overall a good day. How good those gains felt against the backdrop of unforeseen difficulties! Would I have felt so good about those "wins" if I had not also experienced those snags?

I imagine that the God who knew me before I was born, also knows those words from Jung. I need adversity to gain a sense of achievement and triumph. I need hard times to prove that I am strong. I need those times when I get scared, so that I know to be brave and that my God will lead me through.

A day like this, teaches me to wait for the next moment. God surely has another surprise, puzzle or moment of grace waiting for me. I just need to be patient and trust in Him. I need to trust that the process that unfolds with each day, is just as God intended it to be. What is personal miracle each moment really is! Each "good", each "bad" and each "ugly" in every day, is a special gift to me from God. May my eyes remain open to see these gifts. May your days be also filled with such wonders.


No comments: