Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Exam Time

As my daughters prepare for final exams it is always my pleasure to try to help with studying, because I know that all too soon these opportunities will vanish forever.

This evening, with my limited knowledge of the French language, I attempted to assist with preparations for a Religion exam. As I read and re-read beatitudes and commandments in another tongue, I delighted how this experience deepened my understanding. The words themselves, in some cases, spoke loudly as they looked-like or sounded-like familiar tones of my native tongue. Other phrases rang new truth through discussion to enhance my knowledge of French. Sometimes it was the sharing of perceptions that brought re-newed faith.

I was reminded of the importance of sharing our faith with family, friends and our faith communities. It is through these experiences that we all grow as Christians.

Old words and concepts bloomed in a new light tonight. This evening brought some special gifts: the privilege of helping my child study, the opportunity enhance my knowledge of another language and most importantly the gift of shared faith in our family.

No comments: