Monday, January 5, 2009

You'll See My Face

"For every time you fall apart
There'll be a soul to guide your journey
But if you choose to turn away
There in the mirror
You'll see my face
You'll see my face"

These words sung by RyanDan, Canadian twin singing sensations have been playing a lot lately in my car. As twins, when one turns from the other, it is true, that when one looks in the mirror, he will see the other twin's face.

As I listened to these words, I was drawn to reflect on a different and more personal understanding.

That soul guiding my journey is the Holy Spirit acting within me. If I turn away, all I need to do is look in a mirror to see the reflection of God-in-me, staring back at me.

If the Holy Spirit is in me, guiding my actions, can I find that same Spirit in others? Can I learn to approach others with the clear knowledge that as I look at them I am looking into the face of God? Can I be brave and find that face of God in people who look different, who act differently, whose views are not the same as my own? Can I remain open to finding God in people who are hurtful to others in words and in actions? If I find that face of God, will it make it easier to forgive hurtful people?

When I find the face of God in others could I ever turn away from them again?

Those four words, "you'll see my face" are God's promise to me. When I seek Him, I will find Him. In turn, I will promise to seek Him in everyone, and when I find Him, I will honour that Spirit that I find.

No comments: